For the crumble
• 300g plain flour, pinch of salt
• 175g unrefined brown sugar
• 200g unsalted butter, cubed at room temperature
• Knob of butter for greasing the container (i use a ceramic oval dish)
For the filling
• 450g (or as many as you have!) apples peeled, cored and cut into pieces
• 50g unrefined brown sugar
• 1 tbsp plain flour
• ½ tsp of ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. I personally like mine quite lumpy..
3. Butter a 24cm/9in ovenproof dish.
4. Place the fruit sugar, flour and cinnamon in the bottom of your oval dish and mix it all nicely together until all the apples are covered
5. Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top so all the apple mix is covered
6. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture bubbling up the side
7. Serve with thick cream or custard. – i buy the ready made custard as its way too much work to make custard!!!
Click HERE to link to Aunty B's page and read more about her high flying life in London!