8oz self raising flour
6 oz castor sugar
6 oz soft butter or margarine
2 very large cooking apples cored , peeled and cut into reasonable chunks
1. Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F
2. Line a Swiss roll tin (oblong) or a flat baking tin (indeed you can use any flat tin with say a 2" high lip. (Leave lining approx 1 " above the lip to allow cake to rise.)
3. Beat the sugar and butter together until they are creamy then add eggs and some flour gradually beating.
4. Beat all the ingredients together, gently, using a low setting on the mixer.
5. When ingredients are combined, increase speed and beat for one minute.
6. Add the apple using a wooden spatula to cover all the fruit with the mixture.
7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tin and smooth the top.
8. Cook in the centre of the oven for approx 45 ninutes. Test the cake by lightly pressing the centre, it should spring back and the top should be golden brown.
9. To be extra sure, insert a skewer or knife and if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
10. You can shake a little powdered sugar or castor on top...
11. Leave in tin for about 15 minutes then turn onto a wire tray to cool.