The French Macaron
Rose with Buttercream
195g: almond meal
240g: icing sugar
120g: castor sugar
150g: egg whites
A few drops of rose water
Pink food colouring
A buttercream icing
125g butter, softened
1 1/2 Cups of icing sugar
2 tablespoons of milk or cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Mix together until smooth.
- Using room temp egg whites ( that have been left out overnight), beat at a medium speed until white and stiff. Slowly add sugar and continue to mixture until a peak forms.
- Then fold in the sifted icing sugar, and almond meal (sift together, to ensure that it is super fine). Stir in Rose water and a few drops of food colouring (be careful)
- Using a piping bag with a large round nozzle, scoop in the mixture. Place the noszzle in the centre of the circle and squeeze until the circle is filled with mixture. Then repeat...
- Tap the tray 3 times on the kitchen counter to release the air bubbles.
- Then leave your macarons to sit for 30 minutes to an hour. (Test: they should not be sticky to touch).
- While they are standing, make filling and preheat oven to 325F.
- Drop to 300 when your ready to bake your macarons
- Bake them one tray at a time- place the macaron tray onto another tray (this is Referred to as double tray baking)...
- Bake for 5 minutes. Then using a wooden spoon, slightly wedge your oven open and bake for another 7- 10 minutes. Repeat for each batch. Remember before placing the next tray into the oven return the heat to 325F and then drop the oven to 300F
- Let your macarons cool completely before removing from the tray.
- Sandwich your macarons together using the above filling and let them sit for a moment or two xo